Re: [VHFcontesting] Why not a list of FM "contest" calling freqs?

Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Why not a list of FM "contest" calling freqs?
From: Marshall-K5QE <k5qe@k5qe.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:43:01 -0600
Hello to everyone....The issue of letting the ARRL "publish" specific FM frequencies for contesting purposes was discussed in the VUAC forum at the SE VHF conference. Surprisingly, there was resistance to this idea....some from the audience, some from the VUAC members themselves. Here in our area, 146.55MHz and 146.58MHz would cover everything. In other areas, there might be some reason that those frequencies would not work. I don't know what the reason might be, but it is possible.

I cannot imagine posting a long list of simplex frequencies and then having to search all over for someone actually using them. Someone suggested that all rigs have scanning now, so just let the rig do the work. First, ALL rigs don't have scanning and 99% of the FMers out there are not smart enough to program theirs to scan anyway. Most just put in their local repeater and that is it. When you try to tell them how to work someone on simplex, you get the "very puzzled look". The idea that we need a whole bunch of different frequencies in the 145 range, in the 146 range, and in the 147 range just strikes me as silly. I would bet that for most of the country, .55 and .58 would do the job.

Why the ARRL refuses to "recommend" any frequencies is just beyond me. If only the two above frequencies were recommended, we would have a lot of activity concentrated in two places where it would be easy to work. However, if we all recommend .55 and .58 to all those we Elmer, it would not be long before those would become the default contesting simplex frequencies. It would be nice if the new FM class would generate some activity....we shall see.

Everyone is REQUIRED to have a great Holiday Season....

73 Marshall K5QE