[VHFcontesting] VHF Infusion

To: vhf contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VHF Infusion
From: Rick R <rick1ds@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:29:38 -0400
ARRL has tried to encourage more of the newcomers to VHF with newer categories,
such as FM only and 3-banders (ABD).
For several years, we have tried to have a "VHF Beginners" course that was free
as part of our annual VHF Conference. Other clubs have done the same. It takes
time and energy to encourage new VHF'ers, and once they get started, to get
them up on higher bands. Our club has loaner gear for all bands through 10GHz
for those willing to try. It's also important to have VHF-UHF activity all year
round, to make sure that contesters have working gear, know the capabilities of
their station and locations and get to meet other VHF'ers on the air. Our club
holds weekly nets on bands ABCD9E (and up if needed) to encourage folks to be
active and maintain good working stations. We have also had members of our club
visit other clubs to give talks and slide shows on VHF and contesting. Many
newcomers need Elmers and those with technical savvy and test gear. Nothing
more frustrating to the newcomer than massive signal loss through poor cables
and connectors or mismatched tuning. Yes, cheerlea
 ding and arm-twisting is important. Encouraging all sorts of stations to be
active , even if the operating time is short and the gear is marginal. We are
also glad to share our monthly newsletter of VHF activity and some construction
at www.packratvhf.com  and the almost 50 yr history of issues is posted there,
free for the looking.
Admittedly, this past weekend was problematic--a major religious observance on
Saturday, many football games, parties, and generally a great weather weekend
for non-radio activity. But contesting has its ups and downs. We can't control
propagation.  Let's not get too melancholic about it and continue to work
toward improving participation for the future.
Rick, K1DS