Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL UHF Contest Cancelled

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL UHF Contest Cancelled
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 10:00:32 -0600
Well, the Spring and Fall Sprints were taken over by other groups. They may
not get the activity they once had, but they go on. And they do have SOME
activity.

I'll participate if some group says they'll sponsor a contest then. Or even
if a lot of operators say they'll get on anyway, just to have some activity.

73, Zack W9SZ

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 9:53 AM, Keith Morehouse <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
wrote:

> That is a ridiculous solution to a problem many saw coming.
>
> How can the ARRL simply cancel a operating event with such a long history
> ?  Sure, it's "their" contest, but how much resource do they actually put
> into the effort ?  There is the one or two page article in QST that
> probably wouldn't be missed by anybody since I recall it has little
> substance and they farm out the writing of the article to a non-staffer,
> anyway.
>
> Since the UHF contest appears to be a 'coastal' and
> "east-of-the-Mississippi" contest, I suggest one of the big VHF clubs on
> the east coast or in Californian simply 'take over' the event and run it as
> usual, with or without ARRL involvement.  If the League doesn't like it,
> change the name and run it anyway.  A good dose of PR on the various
> Internet reflectors and sites would assure a turnout by those interested.
> Publish the results in a more-timely way then usual via the Internet.  All
> this has been done before when the ARRL blew off events.  Once a contest
> has momentum, it's not 'owned' by anyone.
>
> I make a public pledge - I don't usually operate the UHF contest due to
> lack of activity within my "range", but, if another entity takes over, I
> WILL be on, strive to work as many QSOs as possible and send in a log.
> That's ONE MORE participant then last year - anybody else ?
>
> Jay W9RM DM58
> (ARRL Life Member)
>
> Keith J Morehouse
> Managing Partner