Re: [VHFcontesting] 2016 ARRL UHF Contest Cancelled

To: "Steve Tripp (K1IIG)" <stephen.tripp@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 2016 ARRL UHF Contest Cancelled
From: John Geiger <af5cc2@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 16:41:20 +0000
My thoughts were the same as Keith's when I first saw this announcement-how
many resources are being saved by cancelling it?  I would guess that 99% of
the logs are received in Cabrillo format, so that log checking is all done
by computer.  For the occassional paper log, maybe the ARRL could put a
type in your log Cabrillo conversion tool on their website.  I have seen
other contests do that.  Plus, get someone outside the ARRL to write the
article.  The manpower involved in the ARRL running this contest sure
doesn't seem like much.

I also agree with Ken, in that I never saw the VHF contesting community
polled about this contest.  Yes, the activity hasn't been great for this
contest in my area, but a few of us went out roving or mountaintopping for
it last year and had a good time.  I did miss it the past couple of years
before that due to out of town trips for family gatherings. I am sorry if
that killed the contest.

73 John AF5CC

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Steve Tripp (K1IIG) <stephen.tripp@snet.net