Re: [VHFcontesting] Comments sought for new ARRL UHF Contest in May

To: beamar@aol.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Comments sought for new ARRL UHF Contest in May
From: John Young via VHFcontesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 02:14:28 -0400
As a newbie (1 contest, licensed less than a year)  and a "bottom feeder" (FM
only) I have a different perspective than those who have invested many years
and a lot more time and money into contesting.

        I cant tell if the goal of the proposed changes is to make the
contesting pie bigger or just to split up the pie differently.

        If the goal is to make the pie bigger, increase the number of people
contesting in the higher bands, I believe the proposed changes miss the mark.
The goal should be to get people started contesting early and then they will
naturally step up in capability over time and use the higher UHF and microwave
bands.

        90% of new hams get the technician license to start with. 99% of them
know little or nothing about contesting.  They all buy an FM VHF/UHF rig (HT's
or mobiles) capable first radio.  They learn about repeater use but very few
use simplex.  They are all contest capable the minute they get on the air but
most dont know it.  The goal should be to get them interested in contesting
early on as new Techs.  As their technical and contesting skills improve they
will migrate to more sophisticated set ups and the higher freqs. No one goes
straight into microwave and these folks could pretty much care less about the
above 70cm rules.  Keep it simple to start with. Get people hooked and make it
more challenging going forward.  Get them started "young" and they will be
hooked for life.

For example:

1) Keep it Simple To Start:
 Have an FM category for amateurs who have had a license for two years or less.
Dont bother checking their logs.  Just count the scores and send all of them a
pretty 8-1/2x11 piece of paper to hang on the wall for taking part in the
contest.  Send highest 5 in each ARRL region and the 5 highest nationally a
nicer piece of paper to hang on the wall. When someone get their license send
them an invitation to enter as a new ham. Sure, a few may falsify QSO's but
after the second year that small minority cant enter the unchecked category
again (see below)  so they will disappear and wont be a problem for the serious
contesters who stick around or are using other bands & modes.

2)  Step it Up
 Have an FM category for 2 years and up, let first year hams enter if they
want. This would be identical to what is done now in the FM only category.
Check the logs as is done now.

3) Promote UHF contesting to new hams.  Send new licensees simple instructions,
maybe a "glossy" email on FM contesting and how it is done.  ARRL knows who the
new Hams are.  Push it.

Getting people started early so they see contesting as a natural part of the
hobby, as natural as moving from FM UHF/VHF to SSB HF would greatly increase
the numbers.

If the goal is to slice up the scoring pie differently between the bands then
the rules changes will definitely change things but I dont see how they will
increase the number of people entering UHF & up contests.I have no dog in the
pie slicing fight,  I just want a bigger pie for all of us.

73

John, KM4KMU

If you want