Re: [VHFcontesting] FT4 Mode

To: "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] FT4 Mode
From: Jay RM <w9rm@calmesapartners.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2019 11:47:59 -0600
The 'need for FT speed' reflects the huge QSO/hour disadvantage FT8 has vs
SSB when the band is open.  Many 6M op's have foolishly abandoned SSB
during contests, so the introduction of FT4 is an attempt to speed things
up a bit.  We'll see whether the mode can ultimately live up to it's
promise.  With all the mouse movements and click-click required, I doubt
FT4 will perform anywhere near as well as an experienced human op using
SSB.  We will see.

Remember,  FT4 is advertised as a 'contesting' mode.  The idea of a contest
is to maximize your score.  The best way to maximize a score is to run
contacts as fast as possible over the duration of the contest.  So, one
should use the fastest mode for the given conditions.  When the band is
closed or marginal, you want to use the most sensitive mode.  This could be
JT65 if the potential contact base is limited or FT8 if there are many weak
stations to work (or CW, of course).  As the band opens, there will be a
point where the intelligent operator needs to make a switch from
'sensitivity' to 'speed'.  Should this switch be FT8 to FT4 ?  No, because
SSB is faster and certainly sensitive enough during a Es opening.

If this is the case, why does FT4 really exist as a contest mode ?  It's
not as good for weak signals as FT8 and it's most likely not as fast as
SSB.  "Because we can" is not a sufficient answer for something that has
shown the capability to totally upset the status quo of an entire band in a
negative way (condensing an entire band full of  operators on to what is
realistically one frequency).

-W9RM

Keith Morehouse
via MotoG