Re: [VHFcontesting] Tech Help needed

To: "'David Olean'" <k1whs@metrocast.net>, "'peter h'" <n6ze@aol.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Tech Help needed
From: "Paul Rollinson" <Paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2021 12:17:57 -0500
I quit!

3 hours of messing with that antenna and I got nowhere. It's starting to snow.
Maybe we'll get enough to bury them.

The theory behind moving the shorting bars out to more the freq up the band may
be based on simple J pole type design, when you short higher up the driven
element, it increases in resonate freq.
The movement of the shorting bars had no perceivable effect of center of band.

The 70 ohm (RG-6) phasing line might be able to raise the center freq if
shortened. If anyone has done this, please reply with length to attempt.
Next step

The driven element might be able to be sleeved increasing the diameter and
potential bandwidth, which is the biggest problem with this design.
No change

Repositioning D1 may help but this has unknown effect of performance.
I clamped D1 2 inches then 6 inches up the boom. Really sent SWR sky high

I have a 6L6 that I will use if I can't get anywhere. Very frustrated and cold.

73,
Paul Rollinson, KE1LI
Rollinson Associates
860-928-5147