Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Kenwood TS2000 ACC2 power out

To: Bob Fischer <bobw2sj@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Kenwood TS2000 ACC2 power out
From: Brian Dickman <brian.dickman@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 13:57:36 -0800
The rampup issue only affected very early units (definitely years 2000 and
2001, although I don't know exactly when the fix cutoff happened). It's in
the fixed DSP logic, so the only remedy is a manufacturer's swap of the DSP
or board if you can convince Kenwood to do the work in the first place.

A local operator who has a few of the faulty units reported that it also
only affects the rear ACC2 connector, not the front mic input, and was easy
to observe: "when you key up, the ALC and power out are both ZERO and then
over 5 seconds the power ramps up ALC action finally kicks in". He also saw
this doesn't cause much of a problem for "long over" modes like JT65/9, but
completely prevents function on the short over modes such as FT8/4.

I span the gap, using a 2008-era TS2000, which may have the flaw, but
probably not. However I drive it through the mic port for digital modes and
have no issues with FT8.

John, it should be easy to observe but seems most likely that it was
resolved by 2012.

Bob, you could try using the mic input?

--
Brian NR7Y