Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover Action on Mt. Washington NH

To: Mark Adams <radio@k2qo.us>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rover Action on Mt. Washington NH
From: Chris Lumens <chris@lumensoutdoors.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 10:24:48 -0400
ZR mentioned to me that we should try Mt. Washington as our first stop
on the Saturday of the contest this fall. I’m pretty sure that we’ve
never worked a station who was there. The mountain is well off the
beaten path and travel times to other grids would be torched, but if it
would proved 150-200 Q’s for a 304 hour effort it might be OK.

I have hiked it a ton of times and operated the 10 GHz contest from
there.  I have not operated any other bands from there, and I don't
really have any plans to contest rove.  Here's my thoughts on it...

* The weather, obviously, is the biggest factor.  It is likely that
  there will be high winds and precipitation.  So, be ready for that.
  It might be so bad as to make you cancel your trip.  It might not
  happen until you are already up there.  Have some way to secure your
  gear to prevent it blowing away.

* It's kind of a long way from Mt. Washington to anywhere else I would
  want to stop.  This has been the biggest reason I haven't roved from
  there.

* It is extremely busy, and it takes a long time to travel that road.
  I got there when the gate opened for the 10 GHz contest.  If you
  wanted to start on Saturday, you'd be there at 2pm.  I think you would
  have a hard time finding a parking space unless you got there early
  to claim your space and just waited for the contest to start.  Plan
  on at least 30 minutes to drive.

* For the 10 GHz contest, there's really only one good place to park.
  There may be better options for the lower bands.  This makes getting
  there early even more important.  Also, from the parking lot, the
  mountain will block you to the north and northwest.  There's not many
  people up that way, but just something to be aware of.

* Maybe not important, but I'm not sure if the summit buildings will be
  open which might mean no bathrooms.

--
Chris Lumens - KG6CIH
Hike * MTB * XC Ski * Haskell