Re: [VHFcontesting] It's 222 Activity time.

To: "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] It's 222 Activity time.
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 23:04:01 -0400
Hi 222 MHz ers

I ran into some minor problems and ended up losing my kilowatt amplifier after about 1/2 hour. I bypassed the amp and tried going on with just 100 watts. It worked pretty well. I had a great QSO with N3RG, and an FT8 QSO with K1RZ. A try with VE3ZV on CW at almost 500 miles did not work. Stephen heard me only about 50% of the time. I heard him OK but very weak.  We did not complete. The band had some deep QSB.  VE2XX was way up and then  down quite abit. K1PXE was 559 and watery sounding on CW with his beam fixed SW, then peaked up at 5X8 on SSB a bit later with a blasting signal.  It was great to hear K2AEP & W1GHZ in VT.   K1OR was on with a big signal along with KV1J in FN44. WW2Y in NJ had a great signal into Maine too.  Thanks to "Good Buddy" Ron, WZ1V for getting on and making a bunch of contacts.

I took a look at the HV power supply, and traced the problem to a fried power relay.  (my fault) I'll do better the next time. I can fix it easily.

My apologies for not trying any meteors etc, but my 100 watts is quite a bit down from the normal KW level!

73

Dave K1WHS