Re: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday activity night

To: Terry Price <terry@directivesystems.com>, 222Activity@groups.io, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Tuesday activity night
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2022 11:21:36 -0400
Wow! A lot of chatter about activity night on 222 MHz.  Well it is Tuesday and Tuesday is the day when you can exercise your 222 MHz gear, test something out, chat with your buddies, or look for DX.  The activity starts from about 2200 up to about 01:30  or 02:00 UT. If W8ZN gets his elevation running, there may be an EME QSO to be had on 222 MHz Activity Night!!  I am not sure if an EME contact has been made yet on a Tuesday night.   For the record, I am all set up and can try an EME sked either early, or later on after the terrestrial activity dies down.

The weather is finally warming up here in northern New England, and the grass is growing.  The rhubarb patch looks a bit stunted as the nights have been cold and quite windy for May.  This morning, the low temp was almost 50 degrees for the first time. All this means that my shack will be warm and I don't need any electric heat. Yahoo. I plan to be up at the shack starting around 2200 UT and could try some EME then if anyone is on the HB9Q page.  I can stick around at 02:00 or so and try with anyone if you are willing and able to see and hit the Moon. It sure is hard to miss in the night sky, being almost at full!

I am still running my tube amplifier and the tower mtd preamp that gets hit by Channel 11.  The new preamp project won't happen until June from the looks of things.  My solid state KW amp is ready to go. I just need to drag it up to the shack. My big hold up is really a 10 dB 25 watt pad needed on the output of my transverter. The new driver chain needs only 1.5 watts of drive and the transverter can make about 20-25 watts. I plan to run it at full output and attenuate the signal before the driver amp. The driver is 2X MRF-148 FETs ad is good for about 50 watts max. I don't need any high power glitches to blow up the big FETs.

So don't forget that tonight is 222 Night. If you show up, you will definitely have some fun.   Check the ON4KST Chat page (144/432 Region 2) or HB9Q (222 MHz) for coordination.  The more the merrier!!

73

Dave K1WHS