Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Night for June 7/8 2022

To: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>, "222 >> 222Activity@groups.io" <222Activity@groups.io>, "vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, "NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net" <NEWSVHF@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 222 Night for June 7/8 2022
From: Paul Rollinson <paulrollinson@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 15:19:50 -0400
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Night for June 7/8 2022 Hello 222 folks,I am
looking forward to this evening to try out my revised 222 receive system.
Yesterday, I climbed the 100 ft tower and removed the weather proof box that
held the TX relays and the preamp. It was working great, but was being hammered
by a CH 11 TV station whenever I aimed southwest. (Guess where most of the
activity is?) That CH 11 TV station is in line with New York, Philly, and
Washington DC. I could not use my tower mtd preamp in that direction.  So a new
and bigger box was built up to contain the cavity FET preamp. I had to steal
the original power connector from the old box so I did not have to run a new
cable and connector up the tower.  Last night I swapped things out and finished
the wiring of the interior of the box, using that power connector again.  Then
some tests on the NF meter that proved it was working. I am seeing about a 1/2
dB NF through the adaptors and TX relays, which seems about right.  So I was up
on the tower this morning, and checked for the proper voltages with my trusty
DVM. The last move was to connect up the DC to the preamp once I knew that all
was well, and then down the tower to see how it worked.There is no evidence of
overload! In addition, the selectivity in the frontend is so good that the CH
11 station does not even overload the transverter. I was sure that I would have
to install a filter to prevent that, but the 25 dB of attenuation was enough to
make it all work just fine. I listened a bit to the K1RT Beacon on 222.060. I
was hearing it pretty well....a good sign.  I tried elevating the yagis and saw
the noise level drop, so it is working. How well, remains to be seen, but I am
encouraged that my hearing problems to the SW are gone. Now I need to try it
out with real signals.  I hope many make the effort to get on this evening!!I
plan to be on 222.100 at about 22:30 or 22:45 UT. I will be monitoring ON4KST
as well as HB9Q Chat for any EME activity. At 0100 UT the Moon will be
southwest and at about a 45 degree elevation. It sets here at about 0545 UT.
It could be an exciting evening!Be there and check it out!Dave