[WL-USERS] FSK Stop Bit Setup

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WL-USERS] FSK Stop Bit Setup
From: k5dj@contesting.com (Ron Stailey, K5DJ)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 22:40:02 -0400 (EDT)
  The posting for FSK Stop Bit Setup, was posted on the reflector on
  Jun 5th, sri if some missed it, here it is again...

   73, de Ron K5DJ
-----------------------------
From: "W. Wright, W5XD" <w5xd@alum.mit.edu>
To: <joens@thecia.net>
Cc: "'K5DJ'" <k5dj@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [WL-USERS] FSK Stop Bit Setup
To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 16:55:05 -0000

Please try the following:

(((Michael, K1JE and several others said it was working fine.)))

1. download this:

http://www.contesting.com/writelog/Downloads/rtty924.zip

2. unzip it into your \programs folder. It will replace rttyrite9.exe

3. now try the stop bits.

My results are uncertain. WriteLog does not drive the COM ports directly,
but depends on proper operation of the Windows device drivers. I tested on
both Windows NT and on Windows 98 (just one machine of each) and discovered
that:

a. the Windows software documentation (SetCommState call if you care)
clearly says:
"The use of 5 data bits with 2 stop bits is an invalid combination, as are
6, 7, or 8 data bits with 1.5 stop bits. "

b. Windows NT behaves per the documentation--a scope shows 22 msec stop bits
with a setting of 1 and 33 with a setting of 1.5. And the driver refuses to
set 2 stop bits--it returns an error.

c. my Windows 98 machine does NOT behave per the documentation. It sends ONE
stop bit for a setting of 1 or 1.5, so I tried 2 and lo and behold the
driver reported success (huh?) and 1.5 stop bits appeared out the serial
port.

It appears that Bill Gates and company have as much trouble telling the
truth in their documentation as he does in depositions.

The code I'm asking you to test, attempts to set 2 stop bits. If that fails,
it tries 1.5. I have no idea how many machine/OS combinations this might
work on. It works on the NT and 98 machines I have to test with. Please let
me know what it does on yours.

The stop bit setting could also affect receive behavior. The driver could
very well set the UART such that fewer than 2 stop bits (44msec at 45 baud)
is a framing error. If that happens, then we have an even bigger mess.

Ron: this mod affects folks running one of the following in their "TU Type"
menu settings ONLY!!!

        FSK on a dumb TU (Hal-8000 for example)) or
        FSK with a sound board setting (NOT AFSK!)

It does NOT affect anyone running any other TNC.

Thanks,
        Wayne, W5XD