[WriteLog] WL + MFJ 1275 help needed

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WL + MFJ 1275 help needed
From: k4ik@subich.com (Joe Subich, K4IK)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:34:04 -0400
> I am still having problems using the MFJ sound card to rig interface
> when using WL. I can get the voice keyer message to play ( PTT &
> transmit) just fine. The problem is that the only way to stop the
> voice keyer is to push the escape key. Pushing the PTT on the mic
> doesn't work. I do not want to rewire the mic or use VOX ( high
> sound environment) Does anyone know what pin  on the serial port
> WL is looking at to stop the voice keyer, and is it looking for a
> high or low? I may have to rewire the MFJ box to fit my needs
> and that is OK.

As far as I know,  the only way to stop the voice keyer in WriteLog
is to push the escape key.  WriteLog expects the microphone to be
attached to the mic in OF YOUR SOUND CARD.  WriteLog handles all the
audio switching (between the voice keyer and microphone) with the
mixer controls on the sound card.

One could argue that it would be nice if Wayne were to allow a PTT
input to the computer (foot switch for mic plugged into sound card
or "interlock" from a RigBlaster/MFJ interface) but he doesn't and
I don't think there is an available serial port handshake line to
implement it.

In any case, this is simply one of those cases where the software
author has made cost/benefit decision concerning his product.  In
the grand scheme of things it's inconsequential!

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK