[WriteLog] A quirk in the ARI module?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] A quirk in the ARI module?
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 12:27:15 -0500
The ARI module is broken.  The previous serial number can be helpful,
but when you click on the current serial number in the RTTYrite window
when the cursor is in the serial number field in the Entry Window, it ends up
overwriting the callsign in the callsign field!  I don't recall any of the other
SM6SRW modules doing this.

Packet spots of stations you have already work show up on the bandmap
as new stations and when you click on them, the radio goes to CW mode.

But the most difficult part of the ARI module as with many of the SM6SRW
modules, is clicking on a callsign in the RTTYrite window puts the cursor
in the RST field instead of the serial number field.  This can be overcome
by going to "Exchange Format Setup" under the Contest menu and unchecking
"Prompt" for the RST field.  You have to click on RST in the left hand
window, then un-select "Prompt. Include in QSL Entry".  This eliminates RST
from the QSO Entry Window but still gives 599 as both send and receive
RST values in the log.  This works great until someone gives you a "579"
as someone did to me in the ARI this weekend.  But normally this does not
happen and using this method to eliminate the RST field, eliminates the
problem of the cursor going to the RST field when clicking on a callsign
in the RTTYrite window.  The cursor then goes directly to the serial number
field.

I'm glad we have these SM6SRW modules.  They are usable.  There are
some quirks to deal with but it's better than not having any modules for those
contests.  However, the ARI module was doing things the others do not
(overwriting the callsign when the cursor is in the serial number field and
clicking on a serial number in the RTTYrite window).  I ended up overwriting
the previous serial number with direct keypad entry.

73, Don AA5AU