[WriteLog] Which Sound Card?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Which Sound Card?
From: RCARIELLO@si.rr.com (RCARIELLO)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 04:47:12 -0000
Hello to all,
I have reviewed the WriteLog archives up to 2000 or so and the WritLog sound
card summery page. I have not found any conclusive information on which
sound card is best to use with WriteLog.

My primary function will be to record both SSB and CW contests for a length
of 48 hours or so onto the computer hard drive. I would like to be able to
then burn this information onto a CD for permanent safe keeping and review.

The secondary function would be to try RTTY operation. This would be
attempted with the same system only if it dose not compromise the systems
primary function.

I am using WriteLog V10.33c.

My station consists of a Yaesu FT-1000MP, an Acom 2000a amp. A tri-bander
and a few ground mounted verticals. I seem to be free of any large levels of
stray RF in the shake but I am still concerned of possible damage to the
sound card used. The computer is a home built Pentium II 400 MHz with 256 MB
Ram. The operating system is Windows 98 second edition. The hard drive is
20 MB, not shore of it's speed, but can be changed to a larger one or a
second hard drive might be added for recording storage.

The only addition that could be considered at this time would be a second
radio and amp for SO2R. From what I have read I believe a second sound card
would be needed. Using the computer to generate voice messages it not needed
because I use the MFJ 434 voice keyer. I would consider replacing this
function with the computer only if it dose not compromise the primary
function.

I am shore I am not aware of the many questions to ask but for starters:
What is the best sound card to use?
What is the size and speed of the hard drive I need?
What recording program is best to use?
What compressing should I use to still maintain good audio quality?

Thanks for your help.

Rich AA2MF