[WriteLog] USB, COM, LPT

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB, COM, LPT
From: nr1dx@arrl.net (Dave)
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 15:34:47 +0000
At 10:31 AM 9/1/02 -0400, W3YY@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 9/1/02 9:48:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, n7us@arrl.net
>writes:
>

> > Has anyone tried USB 2.0?  The newer computers and peripherals have
> 2.0, and
> > you can buy a board (Belkin ~$80, probably others) to add 2.0 to a PC with
> > PCI slot.
> >

>I've seen positive reviews about the Belkin board, but I tried adding the
>Belkin board to a 800 MHz Pentium III and could never get it to communicate
>with my Palm USB interface.  Plus I started experiencing computer crashes.  I
>did download the latest drivers from Belkin and called Belkin tech support,
>which was a total waste of time.

BOB
Under which operating system were you attempting this install? I went
through this nearly same scenario about a year ago. Palm/USB interface. It
would work under WIN98SE but not any of the NT based versions by MS. The
incompatibility was obscurely documented somewhere and I can't remember if
it was related to the USB interface drivers inability to "assign and
emulate com ports under NT" or something in Palm architecture that was
incompatible. Fortunately for me the company I was working for laid me off
and the computer (which was theirs) with the NT based program was no longer
at my disposal so the problem went away!

Dave
NR1DX
nr1dx@arrl.net

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns a lesson he can learn no other
way" .... Mark Twain