[WriteLog] Provinces

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Provinces
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 16:24:45 -0600
Mark, the software checking software should be able to differentiate
between different aliases.  You are correct in saying what the ARRL shows
should show up in the Cabrillo file but it doesn't have to.  The log checking
software is going to have an ALIAS list to go by.  I don't recall anyone ever
being dinged for having NFLD instead of NF, NWT instead of NT, etc.

A standard should be put in place for all contests with
Provinces/Territories/Labrador
as multipliers.  The ARRL has standardize them for the Roundup and the
namedmul.ini
file should reflect this.  The ARRL lists the following Canadian multipliers:

NB
NS
QC
ON
MB
SK
AB
BC
NT
NF
LB
NU
YT
PEI

So in theory, these are the abbreviations that should show up in
[RTYRNDUP-PROVINCES]
section.  The number following the abbreviation in the file is only for showing
in the multiplier
list in WriteLog (Contest - show multipliers), such as ON=3, means it will show
up under the
3 column when you show multipliers.

The namedmul.ini file should be amended as such to be 100% correct per the
ARRL RTTY Roundup rules:

NB=1
NS=1
QC=2
ON=3
MB=4
SK=5
AB=6
BC=7
NT=8
NF=1
LB=2
NU=0
YT=1
PEI=2

I didn't want to rewrite the whole thing before the contest in fear of
confusing people, but perhaps
I should have.  The problem, as you can see, by changing the above listings, is
that you need to
amend some of the ALIAS listings as well.  Instead of listing NF=NFLD, you need
to list
NFLD=NF.  So it creates all kinds of changes required because not everyone
sends the
"correct" Canadian "area".  Other entries in the ALIAS file would have to
include NWT=NT,
YUK=YT, etc.

As you can see, PEI is listed.  VY2SS sent PE.  If you have PE=PEI in the ALIAS
section, then
all is well.  The log checking software is going to have PE=PEI and will score
the QSO.  You
shouldn't have to worry about it.

I agree it can be confusing.  But that is what the ALIAS section is for.  It's
for those that don't
send the "correct" abbreviation.  Because VY2SS sent PE, is that wrong?  No,
because it's the
correct Postal Code abbreviation for Prince Edward Island.  But you can't go by
Postal Code
abbreviations because then LB and NF would be incorrect.  Because both are in
the same
Province and the official code for the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador is
NL, go figure.

One thing is for sure, Wayne needs to modify the namedmul.ini file with the
above entries
shown in the [RTYRNDUP-PROVINCES] section so that it will remain this way
through
each upgrade of the program.  They are, by what I can tell, the correct
entries.  It's not totally
Wayne's fault.  The beta testers are also responsible for alerting him to
incorrect entries and
we haven't done a very good job of it.

I'm not going to get into the subject of logging what was sent, etc.  This is
not the forum for
that discussion. We could beat that one to death a few times again. hi

73, Don AA5AU