[WriteLog] WL and MTTY page fault in SARTG contest

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] WL and MTTY page fault in SARTG contest
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Sun Aug 17 12:28:59 2003
First upgrade to MMTTY version 1.65 and see if the problem goes away.
It's going to be hard to tell now that the contest is over but there's another
contest in 2 weeks (SCC) and will be a good time to test.

I had the pleasure of using a new PC in the shack today.  It's an HP Pavilion
with a 500 mhz Athlon CPU with 312MB RAM.  I've owned it for several
years but it was the first time I got to use it as a radio PC.  I had to install
Writelog, MMTTY and the MMTTY plug-in and configure everything from
scratch.  I did it between the 2nd and 3rd periods in the contest using just
single transmit/receive with the MMTTY plug-in because I need to install
more COM ports.  All PC's in the shack run Win98SE.

The reason I started using this PC was because my older 333 mhz machine
would lock up and get Rttyrite9 errors when transmitting with the MMTTY
plug-in.  I had to resort to using a DXP38 to transmit with and MMTTY in
a 2nd receive-only window.  This setup just did not get it.  MMTTY runs
circles around the DXP38 most of the time.  I never could figure out what
the problem was with the 333 mhz PC, so I just retired it.  Believe me, I tried
everything I knew of and some I didn't, to try to get it work over the past
year or so to no avail.

Anyway, the new PC acted sluggish.  Longer than usual steady carriers before
and after the buffers were sent, etc.  So I started making some changes to
MMTTY.
When I set the Priority to Normal in the TX tab of MMTTY Setup, the PC
started acting a little better.  My trusty reliable 200 mhz PC on the other
radio
is set for Higher.  I checked the resource meter in the new machine and it was
showing 59%.  I did a CTRL-ALT-DEL and got rid of everything that did not
pertain to WriteLog and was not vital such as Explorer, etc.  The resource meter
only went to 60%, but all of sudden the new machine came to life and was no
longer sluggish.  It acted just like the 200 mhz PC on the other radio even
though
it has 312MB of RAM (the 200 MHZ has only has 96M).  The 200 mhz machine
was running 60% also, but had two RTTY windows open, the MMTTY plug-in,
DXTelnet and Norton virus software.  So something is still hogging memory in
the new machine.  I will try to find out what it is.  Stopping the Norton stuff
helped.

Conclusions?  Get MMTTY version 1.65.  1.64 had problems with WriteLog.
Free up resources by closing stuff taking up memory.  Play with the Priority
setting
in the TX tab.  Try disabling your virus software, but that's always risky if
you
are connected to the Internet.

Damn that was a fun contest, eh?

73, Don AA5AU