Re: [WriteLog] Ability to QSL numbers given to you by other stn

To: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Ability to QSL numbers given to you by other stn
From: John E Bastin <jbastin@sssnet.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 14:44:32 -0500
On Feb 17, 2004, at 1:33 PM, Jerry Flanders wrote:

The only thing that bugs me more than getting my number repeated back to me is getting a 73 included near the end! Well, maybe getting past the serial nr 599, too, but that only happens once per contest.

After I received one of these, which had me confused and slowed the contact, I had an idea. When QSO number 599 was coming up for me, I opened the Message window a few QSOs ahead of time and inserted "NR" in front of the serial number.

After I passed 600, I took the "NR" out of the message.

The exchange I always hope for (and sometimes get) includes the SN given 3 times WITH NO HYPHENS. I want spaces in there so my USOS can deal with shift problems. Why 3 times? I am confident of the number if I see 2 out of 3 agree. Too often, it is given twice and they disagree - then we start a lengthy repeat cycle... For most (but not all) of the recent WPS contest I sent my serial number 3 times, and got very few repeat requests.

I was sending my number twice, but your thoughts make a lot of sense. You're right, when I would get two numbers and they were different, I would have to query for them again. Perhaps if three were sent, that could be avoided.

73,

J o h n   B a s t i n           K 8 A J S
jbastin@sssnet.com         K8AJS@arrl.net
         http://www.qsl.net/k8ajs