Re: [WriteLog] Hum in Audio

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Hum in Audio
From: <tmcdermott@chiaro.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 07:28:46 -0500
Most soundcards put out more than 1 volt of audio pk-pk. The microphone input
on most rigs
is setup for about 10 millivolts pk-pk. Thus, the soundcard will overdrive the
mic input by 40 dB !
This will saturate the audio stages in front of the microphone gain control, so
even if you turn down
the mic gain, the audio has already been severely distorted. Sometimes its
difficult to turn down the
soundcard output by so many dB and have it still work well. An attenuator helps
a lot. Two resistors
in the cable from the soundcard to the mic input, or you can buy an attenuating
audio patch cable
at Radio Shack PN 42-2152, very inexpensively. See
http://www.tapr.org/~n5eg/index_files/page0005.html
for more details.

        -- Tom, N5EG