Re: [WriteLog] Frequency grab feature

To: "'Hal Kennedy'" <halken@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Frequency grab feature
From: "J. Edward (Ed) Muns" <w0yk@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 07:07:30 -0800
> For SO2R on CW, appending "KHZ" onto the end is a waste of
> precious time.  The typical CW sent is: "PSE QSY 140125" or
> just: QSY 14025?, nobody ever sends "KHZ."  Can we do away
> with the "KHZ" or add an option to turn it off?

This request was already made to Wayne, and it was pointed out that if
anyone really did want the "KHZ" they could simply add it to their message.
But for most of us who don't want the "KHZ", there is no way to eliminate it
now.  I expect he will delete it, but I'll check again.

> More important, many stations - this one included - can run
> and do run on either radio.  If I am running on radio #1 I
> need the "QSY 14025?"
> message to pick up the frequency of radio #2, but, also, vice versa.
> Can we have a %Z (with an appendage) that sends the frequency of the
> radio that does not have transmit focus at the time of sending?   I
> realize this gets hard if there are more than two radios
> involved.  Just having it send radio #2's freq when radio #1
> is TX and vice-versa will make this really useful however for
> nearly all SO2R ops.

That was considered but it makes the syntax complex.  There is no obvious
way to handle this for the case of just two radios on one computer when
there could be up to four radios.  This means you'll need a message buffer
for each radio.  You might assign those messages to Fn keys at the opposite
ends of your keyboard to help you know which one to hit for which radio.
Not as ideal as your suggestion above, but usable, and clearly better than
not having this feature at all.

73,
Ed - W0YK