FT900 & Collins Filter

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: FT900 & Collins Filter
From: dgmaley@inav.net (Dave Maley)
Date: Mon, 27 May 1996 15:25:24 +0000
Thought I would pass along some comments about the new Collibs SSB
filter I've just installed in my FT-900:
1. Not an easy installation. Getting the original 3-pole filter out
is not an easy job. There are five points that need solder removed.
One being a lug to the case. Don't damage the board or the surface
mount components in the process.
2. No alignment was needed. The passband was the same as the original
filter.
3. Really sounds good.  Has the same type of sound I remember getting
from my KWM2.  Much tighter skirts, but not too tight.
Eliminated all the filter 'blow-by' or leakage.
4. Get the filter installed correctly. Make sure the filter ground
pins are going to ground. (yea, I know, sounds stupid. Check twice,
solder once.)
5. Don't think it would make that much of an improvement over the
optional 8-pole SSB filter. Some prefer a crystal filter sound over
that of a mechanical filter. They are different.
Good luck with your choice.  I would recommend replacing the original
3-pole filter if you ever connect the radio to a non-mobile antenna.
It cleans out much of the 'buck shot' and some of the other noise.
Dave.   WA0ZZG.
AR