[Yaesu] Info about FT900

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Info about FT900
From: dgmaley@inav.net (Dave Maley)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 11:01:06 +0000
The Collins filter is worth the effort only if you are still using
the original 3-pole filter.  If you have already upgraded to the
8-pole filter, the improvement isn't worth it
The Collins filter has two big advantages over the original filter:
1. Very little leakage around the filter. Out of band attenuation is
quite high.  The 8-pole is just about as good.
2. No ringing caused by noise pulses.  All crystal filters 'ring' a
little bit when pulsed.  The makes the mechanical filter appear to
sound different.  It sounds tighter.
The installation of either the 8-pole or mechanical filter isn't easy
in the FT-900.  It requires removing the receiver board from the
radio,  unsoldering the 3-pole filter(use a BIG gun), and properly
positioning and soldering the new filter.  If you don't get it
positioned right, you'll loose out-of-band attenuation.
Good luck and have fun!  73     Dave   WA0ZZG
AR