[Yaesu] 1000MP - Decreased Signal Strength on Low Bands

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] 1000MP - Decreased Signal Strength on Low Bands
From: Tyler Stewart" <k3mm@erols.com (Tyler Stewart)
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 18:31:06 -0000
Try using the RX In jack and see if everything sounds normal.  If so, it
sounds like a bad high pass filter section.  The RX ANT In jack bypasses
this board.  This is on a separate board before the main RX RF board and I
believe is only IN when in TUNED mode and is not in line when using a RX
antenna. If it still occurs, I almost guarantee, it's the 80 meter BPF
section in the receiver.  Note that the BPF's are always in no matter what
preamp you are using.

I've had problems with this and some of the bandpass filter sections in the
receiver.  What I've found every time is that the little molded coils they
are using short out some turns.  It's not something you can find visually.
You have to  start lifting leads and measuring or just shotgun replacement.

I just dug out my tech manual for the MP and have noted that L3503 on the
HPF-UNIT is the first coil to ground in the 80 M HPF and has failed once on
both of my MPs!  It's a 1.8uH rf choke and it's Yaesu part # L1790049.

Note that this is a very easy board to work on.  It's located near the right
rear top of the radio behind the AFC board and just in front of the A/B
relay board in front of the SO239 jacks.  It's mounted on a couple of
plastic, snap-in standoffs and the board should be marked with the L3503
designator.

SHould be an easy fix if you can handle basic electronic repair!

73, Ty K3MM