[Yaesu] 1000MP - Decreased Signal Strength on Low Bands

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] 1000MP - Decreased Signal Strength on Low Bands
From: Tyler Stewart" <k3mm@erols.com (Tyler Stewart)
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 22:50:07 -0000
Well, hang on a minute.

You SHOULD see a decrease in sensitivity on frequencies below 7 mhz in TUNED
mode.  TUNED mode on the low frequencies kicks in a higher dynamic
range/lower sensitivity preamp.  Usually this is good choice, but not for
low sensitivity RX antennas such as bevs, EWE's, etc., unless you run a lot
of preamplification before it hits the radio RX ANT IN jack.

If you still think there is a problem on 80, try passing through the BPF
crossover points at 3 and 4 mhz and see if the sensitivity changes as you
pass through 80.  If it drops at all, you've probably got damage in your RX
BPF for 3 to 4 mhz (I've had a coil short out there as well).

The key thing to remember on any radio is that you should be hearing
atmospheric static in the background over the normal hiss of the RX with no
antenna.  If you dont, you arent going to hear the weakest signals.  Do
whatever you need to do to fix the problem.

The flip side is that you shouldnt run more gain than you need, especially
on crowded bands as this just invites RX overload.  I've found that using
the RF Gain control on the MP seems to be the best choice over other options
such as the attenuator and the IPO button.

73, Ty K3MM