[Yaesu] Noise blanker switch on Mark V Field

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Noise blanker switch on Mark V Field
From: "Mike and Alicia Fanning" <fanning@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:14:48 -0500
Hi all,
I recently purchased a used Mark V Field that has a couple of odd issues,
and I was wondering if anyone on the list might have seen these before.  I'd
appreciate any advice on fixes.  First of all, the noise blanker button is
intermittent.  You have to punch it several times for it to turn on or off.
The weird thing is that the response of the button seems to get better as
the rig warms up.  Perhaps it is just a mechanical issue that improves as
the switch guts expand with temperature.  Has anyone else seen this?  Is the
fix just to replace the button?  The other item I have noticed is that the
rig's tuner seems to be marginally effective at best.  I have a 40M dipole
hanging outside my window, and the Field will not under any circumstances
load the dipole up on either 15 or 20 meters.  I can put my old Drake manual
tuner in series with the antenna and get the rig happy.  Has anyone else
noticed a limited tuning range on the internal tuner?

Thanks in advance,
Mike, K4GU