[Yaesu] 1000MP audio/mike feedback - CAT pulse noise

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] 1000MP audio/mike feedback - CAT pulse noise
From: "Scott Dickson" <w5wz@w5wz.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 07:39:29 -0500
My 1000MP started this problem this week.

The problem sounds like audio feedback like occurs when an open mike is
placed near an active speaker.  It is heard in both the MONITORed audio in a
headset or via the external speaker, as well as always being transmitted on
the air.

There is also a pulsing noise that is synchronized with each time the CAT
light turns on.  I'm using N1MM and the CAT light pulses basically once each
second.

My station is an SO2R setup with 2 'MPs.  I have swapped the rigs from the
left to right positions, and the problem follows a specific rig.

The problem occurs under these conditions:

USB or LSB

Any band

Monitor on to hear it as well as always being transmitted regardless of
monitor on/off Processor switch on or off Headphones plugged in or not
plugged in Mike (Heil headset) plugged in or not plugged in Going PTT via
footswitch or front panel MOX button Any accessory cables connected to the
rear of the rig or disconnected.

Coax connected or disconnected.

Using 120vAC power cord

To be precise, with ONLY the 120vAC power cord connected, and no other wires
or cables of any sort to any plug or jack, and using the MOX button, the
problem still occurs.

The only thing to seems to lessen it is reducing the RF power to minimum.

--Scott, W5WZ