N5RZ SS CW Score & Comment (Long)

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N5RZ SS CW Score & Comment (Long)
From: rbowen@iglobal.net (Ralph Bowen)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 22:08:16 -0600
    1996 ARRL CW SWEEPSTAKES
    Callsign : N5RZ
    Category : Single Operator High Power
    Section  : West Texas

   BAND    Valid QSOs   Points   Mults

   80CW      344        688       3
   40CW      334        668       5
   20CW      748       1496      70
   15CW        5         10       0

 Totals     1431       2862      78   =  Claimed Score = 223,236 points.

Equipment:  FT1000D + AL1200,  TS430S + L4B
Antennas:   80M: 4 Sloper System   40M: Cushcraft D40 Dipole Fixed E/W @85'
            20M: TH6DXX @ 105' fixed NW, 204BA @ 65' Fixed NE, Power Divided
                 KT34XA @ 75' Fixed East used for a very few QSO's on 2nd Radio

Comments:

This is one of my favorite contests and one very favorable to my geographic
location.  Due to a number of events which happened this year, radio has
taken a back seat:

        1) Consulting since May 1 & hired Oct 1 as full time employee of a
fast            growing start up independent oil & gas company = not much
free time.
        2) Lightning hit last May wiped out 40M yagi and all rotators on the
3             hf towers (along with a host of household appliances).
        3) Acute case of bursitis in my hip has kept me off the tower.
        4) My XYL & I made the decision to put the house on the market after
SS,            so it wasn't worth the effort to try to fix the antennas only
to have            the towers come down the weekend after phone SS!
        5) etc, etc.

However, I almost went crazy watching K5GA operate from here last year &
missing it to make 11 qso's off the moon!!  Tree's decision to return to
W5WMU got me thinking what this crippled station could do. I really didn't
get too fired up until about a week before the contest.  Decided to start
putting the station together Wed eve & spent about 8 hours total Wed Thu &
Friday nites getting the station rebuilt while packing away lots of gear for
storage.

I knew I'd have to work Saturday morning, but hopefully would be able to get
out by noon (3 hrs before the SS)  -   Wrong!!!  Finally got out of a
meeting at 2:30 saying I have plans!!

Get home about 15 mins before test starts with several cables left to hook
up & having to configure N6TR logging program.  Made the decision at 2055 to
start on 20M after hearing N5JJ & a cupla other 5's with huge "pre-contest"
pileups.  I find a spot & lay out a few CQ's  hmmmm  only one or two answers
& no pile up.  15M sounds crappy, so at 2100Z it's off to the races.  No
pile up & only have 17 qsos in the first 15 minutes & only 42 qsos in the
first half hour.  Looks pretty paltry compared to K5GA's 113-121-112 first 3
hours in 1995!!!  Things start picking up & end up with 97 the first hour &
310 by 0000Z.

The first 2nd radio qso was made on 40M at 0003Z; 20M was still good, but
activity was going to the lowbands quickly  -  lots of 6's & 7's already
staking out their holes on 40M.  I stayed on 20M until 0049Z after getting
VY1JA & KH8/N5OLS in the log.  Forty meters was gangbusters for a while, but
about 0150Z, skip started going loooooooooooong & only the west coast was
there.  Made the first 80M qso at 0203Z & tried to figure out what I needed
to do.

Only the FT1000 was keyed by the computer and since I was only planning on
using 80M as a 2nd radio band, I didn't have the 80M array available to the
FT1000.  Knowing I couldn't effectively run 80M on the TS430S, I ended up
killing 10 minutes from 0220-0230Z to find the cables & make the switch.  If
anyone told me before the contest I'd make more QSO's on 80 than 40 I'd have
told them they were crazy  -  but look at the results.  80M was tremendous &
I ran there for the next 5 hours, averaging about 8-10 second radio Q's on
40 each hour.

I had 76 sections worked at 0303Z, needing only KP2 & WY.  I found K8HVT on
the second radio & staked him out for the next "clear shot" to dump my call
in.  It was almost 10 minutes before the timing was right, and only when I
worked Hal did I realize he was /KP2  -  what a surprise!!!  Got NA7R on 80M
(pipeline path from here) at 0610Z for the sweep, my earliest ever on CW.
Thanks gentlemen!!

The rest of the contest was quite fun only having to concentrate on rate.
The off times really make it interesting to determine how you compare to the
pack.  I quit at 0925Z about 40 behind WMU, but when I heard him mid Sunday
Morn, I was up on him by 70 QSO's.  Rates were generally good Sunday with
several full hours over 50.  Tried 15M several times, but 15M blocked out
the second radio completely so stayed to CQ CQ CQ CQ on 20M (the money band)
all day & tuning 40M for hard fought QSO's  -  just a bit too far west & had
many East Coast stations CQ in my face.

20M activity cratered about 2330Z on Sunday & I was looking fwd to running
on 40M & picking some of the last hour wonders on 80M.  When I switched on
80M I was greeted by 30 over 9 line noise which persisted the rest of the
evening - ugh!  Since 20M was dead, the last two hours seemed like an
eternity being stuck on 40M with no second radio!!

Many, many Q power stations really made things challenging.  Many had good
signals, but insisted on calling slightly off frequency falling into the
passband of my 40 over 9 neighbors.  Another pet peeve was repeating sent
information several times. Send it once! QSB was quite bad all weekend on
both 40 & 20M & I turned away several qso's cuz the guys just faded out.

The two biggest irritants:

        1) Getting fills was a tremendous amount of work.  Guys obviously
cannot            copy the code  -  in fact I had to throw out a number of
QSO's where
           I never got a fill.

        2) Frequency stealing.  Part 1:  A CQ'er plops down on the
frequency,              sometimes nanoseconds after I let up the key  -  No
QRL or anything!!
           Part 2:  The QRLer who ignores my dits or quick "R" when I'm
trying             to dig out an exchange & lays out a nice long CQ.  C'mon
guys  if you            hear a loud 2 or 3 dits in response to ur QRL?, go
away.  I shouldn't            have to send a dissertation like "Yes OM, the
frequency is in use;              thanks for asking, 73"

Here are my rates & section distribution, probably quite different from the
other top scores.  Congrats to W0SD & N6TR;  Thanks KR0Y for not turning on
the amp.  And to the killer team at K1ZX.

Thanks to all for the QSO's  -  hope to be on the phone weekend, but we'll see.

73,  Gator  N5RZ

N5RZ Rates:

  HOUR   80CW    40CW    20CW    15CW    TOTAL   ACCUM
  ----  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
   21       0       0      97       0      97      97
   22       0       0     107       0     107     204
   23       0       0     106       0     106     310

    0       0      23      49       0      72     382
    1       0      73       0       0      73     455
    2      45      11       0       0      56     511
    3      74       9       0       0      83     594
    4      59       9       0       0      68     662
    5      47       7       0       0      54     716
    6      49       5       0       0      54     770
    7      33      17       0       0      50     820
    8      15      26       0       0      41     861
    9       9      10       0       0      19     880   off 0925Z
   10       0       0       0       0       0     880
   11       7      25       0       0      32     912    on 1123Z
   12       6      12       0       0      18     930   off 1215Z-1245Z
   13       0       7      47       0      54     984
   14       0       1      28       0      29    1013   off 1431Z
   15       0       6      45       0      51    1064    on 1503Z
   16       0       2      17       0      19    1083   off 1623Z
   17       0      10      25       0      35    1118    on 1701Z pitiful rate
   18       0       3      23       0      26    1144   off 1837Z
   19       0       0      12       4      16    1160    on 1936Z
   20       0       0      54       1      55    1215
   21       0       2      54       0      56    1271
   22       0       1      49       0      50    1321
   23       0      13      35       0      48    1369

    0       0      37       0       0      37    1406
    1       0      25       0       0      25    1431   off 0137Z

  TOTAL   344     334     748       5

   1.           MI   66
   2.           OH   64   Are 8's important??!! Yessir!
   3.           IL   53
   4.          MDC   52   PVRC!!
   5.          WWA   49
   6.           EM   43
   7.           VA   42
   8.          WNY   41
   9.           EP   40
  10.           WI   39
  11.          SCV   35
  12.          STX   34
  13.           CO   32
  14.           NC   30
  15.          NTX   30
  16.          NNJ   29
  17.           NH   28
  18.           CT   28
  19.           EN   27
  20.           MN   26
  21.           KY   25
  22.           OR   25
  23.           TN   25
  24.           IN   24
  25.          WPA   24
  26.           MO   23
  27.          ORG   22
  28.           GA   20
  29.          NFL   20
  30.          NLI   20
  31.          LAX   19
  32.           SV   19
  33.           AZ   19
  34.           AL   18
  35.          SFL   18
  36.          SNJ   18
  37.          SDG   18
  38.           EB   17
  39.           ON   15
  40.           WV   14
  41.           SF   12
  42.           SB   12
  43.           AR   12
  44.           NV   11
  45.           RI   11
  46.           OK   11
  47.           SC   10
  48.           KS   10
  49.          WMA    9
  50.           UT    9
  51.           AB    9
  52.           NM    9
  53.           IA    8
  54.           ME    8
  55.           BC    8
  56.           LA    8
  57.          SJV    7
  58.           EW    7
  59.           ID    7
  60.           VT    6
  61.           DE    6
  62.          NNY    6
  63.           MS    5
  64.           ND    4
  65.           PQ    4
  66.           NE    4
  67.          MAR    4
  68.           MT    4
  69.           SK    3
  70.           AK    3
  71.           PR    3
  72.          WTX    2  Whew  -  One Local (AA5TN) & N5DO 90 miles away
  73.          NWT    2
  74.           SD    2
  75.          PAC    1  KH8/N5OLS
  76.           MB    1    VE4GV