N5FG (WQ5L) SSCW score and commentary

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: N5FG (WQ5L) SSCW score and commentary
From: rocker@datasync.com (Ray Rocker)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 1996 00:07:53 -0600 (CST)
N5FG (op. WQ5L), single op, low power CW SS score:

Band   QSOs
-----------
160CW    0
 80CW  246
 40CW  365
 20CW  370
 15CW   19
-----------
Total 1000 x 2 x 76 sections == 152,000 claimed score

Equipment: FT-1000, 3el Hygain @90', 40-2CD @80', Carolina Windom

The race to 1000 Qs against the clock was exhilarating. With
five minutes to go I needed one QSO and got exactly one with
only one minute to spare (tnx WA9Z)! I actually made 1002 Qs
but my record shows my 24th hour ended after #1000, so I'll
submit those two as zero pointers.

This was my first whole hog 24 hour SS. My biggest problem is
not being able to sit still on a frequency and run. Twelve years
of "contesting" with low power and dipoles have made me good
at one thing: S&P. Old habits die hard. My best hour was a 57.

The bands: it's all been said already. 80 == The Band
this time. 40 == El Sucko Saturday night early, in fact
I took an unscheduled 30 minute break in the 0000Z hour
it got so bad. It got much better later and on Sunday.
20 == about par I guess. 15 == West Coast and Caribbean,
nothing more.

Multipliers missed: NWT and PAC. Never heard either one.
By mid morning Sunday I was lacking NWT, PAC, PQ, PR.
My strategy, which I think was sound, was to beam NE and
run 1/2/3 land on 20m until a PQ called in, then go up to
15 and S&P for PAC and PR, then come back to 20 and CQ my
butt off with beam NNW until VY1JA or someone found me.
It took a while but I got the VE2, then I did find KP4
on 15, but even though the sixes were loud I could not
find KH6. I also could not attract a VE8/VY1 on 20, but
was kept busy with other VEs and 8s and 9s and 1s and 2s
so it was productive.

See y'all in two weeks for a very part-time or maybe
multiop effort @ N5FG. No way in hell I am spending
24 hours in a phone contest. Forget that.

-- Ray, WQ5L and staying that way for the near future

p.s. If I switch it will be to a better 2x1 anyway.
WPX will be dull if all the 2x1s switch to 1x2s.