K3WW ARRL 160 MULTI

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: K3WW ARRL 160 MULTI
From: k3ww@fast.net (Charles Fulp)
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 20:11:05 +0000
ARRL 160 METER CONTEST  K3WW  OPERATORS K3WW +PACKET

1112 QSO  77 SECT (MISSED SJV) 36 COUNTRIES = 287,924 POINTS
ABOUT 21 HOURS OPERATING TIME.

Ill put my brief? blow by blow here, since I don't think I have
anything revolutionary for the contest reflector.

My last patient decided to do with out anesthetics, so I saw the
possibility of getting out of work by 5 pm.  The shack is just thru
the door from the dental office, so I had the radio on and
warmed up.
I actually found a spot before the contest started  (5 pm local time)
and held the frequency until I quit at about 2:15 am.
the first 2 hours averaged 100/hr with many Europeans calling in.
The signals were not strong enough on my short listening wires, but
I was able to copy on my transmit antenna, which I ended up using
for about 95 percent of the weekend.  Lots of NOISE.
I got up and tried to work KL7Y, he/they were running JA and not
listening down.  Gave up and worked my 75 meter Saturday morning
schedule, got back on and worked a few more.  I visited the shack
a few times during the day and worked a hand full of additional
stations...had about 700 by Sat morning.
Found a spot around 3:45 local time and stayed there until I quit
at about 11 PM local time.  Got up at 4:15 or so and found MT and SF
but no SJV for the sweep.  KL7Y called in rather early Saturday
night, with a nice signal.  4X4NJ called me, which was a new
experience.  I dug out a bunch of weak ones, and a bunch slid into
the noise before I could figure them out.
Picked up a handful of mults via packet, and worked as many club
members as I saw spotted.  The second night when the rates were slow,
I chased most of the guys that were spotted, so I dont think I missed
many of the guys that were CQing all weekend.
All in all excellent practice for rates and for digging in the noise.
73 Chas K3WW