[3830] K5PN NAQP SSB '97 S.O.

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K5PN NAQP SSB '97 S.O.
From: K5PN@aol.com (K5PN@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 18:13:53 -0400 (EDT)
                         NORTH AMERICAN QSO PARTY 1997

     date (UTC): 08/16/1997        call: K5PN                 QTH: TX
     mode: SSB                 category:  Single Operator
     Operator Callsign: K5PN
     Exchange:  Ron Texas
     Pre-registered Team: YES - T.A.C.O. #1
     Hours of operation: 07:37

     Band         QSOs       Mults      Antenna

     160             0           0                Inv. Vee                @ 110
ft
      80             1            1               Inv. Vee                @ 110
ft
      40            47         22              Inv. Vee                @ 110
ft
      20          234         38                  6 el fixed to NE     @  90 ft
      15             2           2                TH3 fixed to East  @  70 ft
      10             0           0                TH3 fixed to East  @  70 ft

     Total:       284         63     Claimed Score: 17,892

Equipment: Kenwood TS440S/AT
                 NA Logging Program
                 3500W Generator
                 "OFF" mosquito repellant
                 "Flowers of Sulphur" chigger repellant

SOAPBOX:
Tried to run this one like a field day operation out in the country to take
advantage of available real estate. At the last minute Saturday morning I
strung (3) inverted vee's for 160/80/40M to be ready for the late night low
band multiplier chase that I missed in the CW portion, but all to no avail.
The fixed beams really hurt in ability to gather multipliers, but I was
boomin' into Rhode Island!

It was fun of course; just ran out of gas (me, not the generator) after
operating in the hot Texas sun all day. Not hearing anything above the S9
noise on 40M and 80M I shut her down at 0300UTC, about 2.5 hours short of
operating the full 10 allowed. I hope my teammates will forgive me!

73, Ron