[3830] ARCI 97 Fall QRP Contest

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARCI 97 Fall QRP Contest
From: jpkeon@bellsouth.net (John Paul Keon)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 00:50:00 -0500
This was our multi-op  presentation that we submitted for the contest:
We worked 65 stations on 20meters, 240 on 40meters, and 46 on 80 meters.
We got 57 multipliers and with the 15 multiplier for operating at 250mW we
got the following:
511 Qso's x 57 (multipliers) X 15 (multiplier) = 436,905 points and the
folliwing is the article I submitted to explain how much fun we had.

I just wanted to let everyone know that my second experience was awesome...

I got in there with Paul/AA4XX, and Derek/WF4I and operated the whole time
we could stay on the air.  We were also graced with the presence of several
others: Dave Johnson/WA4NID who finally showed up after his car died on the
way to the site; Todd/N2XL and Lynn/W4WDN.
We set up in the rain (drizzle) and worked the contest in the monsoons.  We
stayed up mostly all night and kept pushing the water off the top of the
12x12 shelter we used over a picnic table to operate from.  The picnic
table also served as the eating table and cooking table so we could stay
out of the weather....

We really should have operated MM because at times we were almost under
water...hi hi

Since this was my first experience at A real contest operation with that
much power (250mW) I was impressed to work mostly all the stations I called
and there were only a few who I contacted that told me DUPE or B4 that we
tried to work over and over......I learned the real meaning of the  word
frustration when I made contact with someone a second time after waiting
for him to answer me and then tell me again B4 and we still did not have
him in the log for that band....oh well......
We did however, manage to cook on my smoker and on the grill when the rains
would let up long enough and we cooked up some very tasty spare ribs, and
some wonderful chicken....and we even smoked some Kielbasa and then in the
morning the chef (me) cooked up eggs, bacon, toast, and fresh coffee for
all......

We dismantled the camp early since we all had other things to do on Sunday,
and I think it was more due to the fact that we were waterlogged.
We probably took on about 10 inches of rain in that period there at the
site.....

We did manage to get up several nice antennas including the Carolina Beam
and that worked well for 80 and 40 meters, even though we aimed it the
wrong way.....and it still performed very well....
The best part of the whole operation was during the early morning hours
when we got on 80 meters and worked everyone we could hear in the contest
part of the band and I intentionally drifted a little and made some 30 and
45 minute qso's with some other folks (QRO) and even got one of them to
change his power down to 5 watts and he was probably another convert to qrp
after that....he could not believe that we actually were running only 250mW
but finally did recognize that fact when he heard the other contest
stations.....

There was only one station this time who questioned my 250 watts when I
told him I was QRP, and then when I told him the "number" was "one quarter
of a watt, and not 250 watts.......he was amazed too....."
When Paul/AA4XX and I did the last QRP to the field we did have a KE4...
who told me i was qrm'ing his qso with my 950 watts, and then when I
advised him I had sent 950mW he was never heard from again....I will not
mention his call because I think he suffered enough embarassment when he
finally read the words correctly.....I just love people who can actually
read the cw they hear on the bands.....I guess I am just spoiled....

We were even queried about having a nine element beam up real high since
our signal sounded so good to one operator....
We got lots of praises from some other ops who said they heard us real well
(which was evident from the reports we were getting)
When we dimantled camp the last thing to go was me on the MERCURY paddles
and then the battery power and then the tent came down.....
I am sorry to say fellows that you are now stuck with me in the QRP
ranks...I have even got plans to sell my new TL-922A Linear and the six
extra 3-500Z's so that I can get a new Sierra and other little things in
the near future......But all that will take time....

I now have to figure out how to get my Carolina Beam back up in the air in
the back yard......hi hi....

Well, I thought I would post a short note to thank all of you that listened
out for us and gave us reports.....we really did enjoy it and I am sure
that Derek is like me and addicted to QRP....in fact when he gets done
building "my" Sierra he will begin work on his......hi hi
Again thanks to all, I enjoyed it and will definitely be in there for the
next one....if at all possible...
72 de jp/AB4PP
JP Keon/AB4PP
jpkeon@bellsouth.net