[3830] K4OJ NAQP CW 1/98

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4OJ NAQP CW 1/98
From: k4oj@ij.net (k4oj)
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:37:26 -0500
I hate getting into the swing of how things are supposed to work well after
the contest has started, once again this happened this weekend...it was
about three hours in that I got the rhythm goin'.....what does everyone
else use to get their heads in gear - it is start time and I just am NOT
thinking about the right stuff....by the time I figured things out I had
made several tactical errors evidenced by my ten meter totals....but....had
i still kept trying to increment them the others would have suffered....I
dunno - it is good I am enjoying this stuff!

.....we got your fried shrimp, your shrimp etoufe, and the house favorite,
shrimp a l'orange...

K4OJ NAQP CW 1/98

The computer was whacko at the beginning so this may be a slightly
conservative guess at the bottom line...I had told the second rigs computer
it was NA Sprint (not NAQP) it took me 15 minutes to figure out why it only
showed 20/40/80 as my band options, the qsos i was making on 15 were
showing up as 80 meter qsos on the second puter....and suddenly there were
numbers in the field and - dummy - get this stuff square before the contest
starts!!!!!  The tower work on Saturday AM cut into station prep time

....I was mentally not ready for this weekend - speaking of which - it is
back to the office to miss the playoffs once I hit the enter key
here.....can't make qsos with it cant make qsos without it (work, that is)

160     82    31
80      137   45
40      279   50
20      213   49
15      164   45
10       30     12

total  905    232

I know there are 2 qsos which were "tests" of the network so lets call it
903 X 232

My persuasive charms are indeed lacking as my 10 meter count shows...

The two radio thing is the only way to really cook in this one - had it
hummming while cqing was getting my report on another tig on another
band...very slick....the 150 watt limit makes interstation interference
negligable....a funone for two radios.

Several stations were also two radio as evidenced by the new phenomenon of
two qsos in the log which are back to back with the same station although
the other station was NOT asked to qsy to the other band...I had four or
five of these including WD0T and WC4E who werew worked on their cq on one
rig while calling me on their second rig (or vice versa)...it is a hoot
when this happens because you realize theother guy is doing the same thing
you are....kinda like a SO2R bonding ritual, I guess.

back to the mines - I might turn on the radio to listen to the
games...arrrrgh

k4oj/interim Bubba