[3830] TBDC, N6LL, WA6CDR, and best EU ears award

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] TBDC, N6LL, WA6CDR, and best EU ears award
From: wb6tza@compuall.net (wb6tza@compuall.net)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 02:06:43 -0800
late post, sorry.

N6LL, SOLP, so calif.

140Qso, 100 grids....
16 EU  (including 3 new ones)
33 JA
UA0, H4, T8, KH8, pacific,
S5, RA2, HA, G, GM, OM, OZ, DL, GW, SM, OH

Utterly fantastic opening to EU.  I have gone an entire weekend calling some
of these same stations at a KW..  this time, some of them CALLED ME!  at 100W!

Was listening while wiring computer and final checking things - wasn't fully
ready - heard S58A CQing... with slow rate.. I have called Boris in the past
without success at a KW.  Thought what the heck,  it's a good test to see if
its all working... and called him.   HE answered!   In complete shock I
completed the qso...  and in the next 20 minutes had a half dozen more eu in
the log.  Utterly unheard of at 100W from Southern Calif!   15 EU in one
night is extremely rare, at the KW level.  at 100W it is simply NOT DONE!
Incredible.

Now you think thats good, read this!

I was so amazed at the signal levels, GM3POI at S9 over a S0 noise floor,
that I called some of the local city folks on the phone and played it to
them... one made a successful qso with him..  so I thought what the heck...
I turned the power on the TS940 - to minimum, read it at 5W, and called
GM3POI using my own call, WA6CDR..........

HE ANSWERED!- with a witness on the phone listening, I completed the QSO,
and later went on to work DF0KW... also at 5W.

I hereby award the best EU ears award to GM3POI and DF0KW!  Utterly AMAZING!
So Cal to EU with 5W?  IMPOSSIBLE!

Thank you both!

thanks for the bandwidth folks,
73,