[3830] K5OY 98 CQ 160 cw SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K5OY 98 CQ 160 cw SO HP
From: tv4029weather@ipa.net (tv4029weather@ipa.net)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 15:08:17 -0600 (CST)
                           1998 CQ 160 METER CONTEST

     Call used: K5OY @W5JAY                                     Location: AR

     Category: Single Op                  Mode: CW              Power: 500

     Callsign of Operator: K5OY

     Exchanged Information: K5OY RST AR

     Hours of Operation: 21:24

     band      QSOs     points
    --------------------------
     160        734       1665
     -------------------------
     TOTAL      734       1665   X   71 multipliers  =  118,215

     Comments:
       This was my first foray into the world of High Power and the experience
     was dizzying, at times intimidating.  I realized, early on, that the
     problem I faced at home, namely never being heard, would be no problem
     at my friend's house.  Jay, W5JAY, has a Kenwood TS-950 and a 922
     into a shunt fed tower.  The 500 watt power level was chosen because
     the phone company dug up a few radials and the resulting skyrocketing
     SWR wouldn't allow for much more.
     The new problems were these.  I felt too loud.  I know there were stations
     I could not hear that were calling.  Now I know how I must sound to others
     when I run low power from home.
     Never did get used to the 950 either.  Have an 850 at home and the
     learning curve on the more sophisticated rig was pretty flat.  Did
     manage to use the DSP to pull out some contacts.
     Also, I was very pleased with my QSO
     total, but very dissapointed in my mults.  I did have Maine call me early
     Sunday morning for WAS, so that was a kick, but only 12 DX.  Found it
     fun to work G0IVZ and GW3YDX.  EA8BH was easy to log.  YS1X and TI1C
     were also no problem.  Jay, himself, even got up about 6:00am and told
     me how to work the JAs.  Managed one there.
     All in all, running high power has taught me the leeson of responsibility.
     I must work on how to hear better.  I don't know if I'll run high
     power full time, but I will do it again.
     Thinking back on it, I bought my 850 from Jay after he let me work it
     for a weekend.  I wonder if he's trying to unload an amp?  73

     I have observed all competition rules as well as all regulations for
     amateur radio  in my country.  My report  is correct and true to the
     best of my knowledge.  I agree  to be bound by  the decisions of the
     CQ Awards Committee.

     Name: Steve Gibbs                     Call: K5OY
           22 Aberdeen Ct
           Ft Smith                      , AR  72908