[3830] K4RO CQ 160m CW Score

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] K4RO CQ 160m CW Score
From: k4ro@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us (k4ro@music-city.tdec.state.tn.us)
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 20:13:54 -0600 (CST)
    CQ 160 CW SUMMARY SHEET           Contest Dates : Jan 23-28, 1998

    Callsign Used : K4RO              Operator : K4RO

    Category : Single Op High Power   Default Exchange : 5NN TN

    Team/Club : Tennessee Contest Group

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

  160CW      965         906       2122      56        21

 Totals      965         906       2122      56        21

    Final Score = 163,394 points.

 Equipment
 ________

 IC-765/761  ;  AL-811 @ 500 W output  ;   "Sloping" 1/4 wave vertical
 with single elevated radial at 8' ;  800' bent RX antenna @ ~10'.

 Soapbox Comments
 ________________

 The CQ160 is the first contest I ever entered, in 1994.  Fortunately
 for me, N4ZZ was not operating this contest in 1994 & 1995, so the
 TN Certificate was available.  I missed the contest last year, and
 wanted to try for a certificate this year.  (Still trying for at
 least one certificate with K4RO on it...)  I figured maybe Don was
 going to sit this one out, after two full NAQP efforts, and I might
 have a chance at it.  Well, about 1-2 hours before the contest, the
 phone rings, and it's N4ZZ.  He's getting ready to operate the contest,
 and has a few questions.  At first I was crushed.  Outgunned by ~6dB,
 plus his operating skill, I figured the certificate was surely lost.
 I had two choices - give up, or give it all I had.  I decided to try
 the latter.  Decided to shoot for his 1000 QSO score from 1996, or
 as close as I could get.  Don't know if I beat Don or not, but hopefully
 I gave him a run for his money.  It sounds like we were pretty close.

 My multiplier count was pitiful.  I spent much time aggressively
 CQing, and perhaps not enough time S&Ping.  Mults count too much in
 this contest to miss, and they don't all answer CQs.  I worked very
 few 10 point QSOs.  From this part of the country, it seems much like
 a single band SS. A low multiplier total and few 10 point QSOs may wind
 up costing me the certificate.  I could work a few EU the second night,
 but condx were not like in 1996.   The JAs were very loud Sunday AM.
 Through much of the contest, QRM was quite fierce everywhere.  There
 were CQers wall-to-wall lined up to 1900 and above at times.

 There were times on Sunday when it felt like there was simply no
 one left to work.  Both CQing and S&P would yield nothing but dupes.
 In other words, it got *really slow* at times.  I guesss this is a
 different contest with decent top band antennas and a full KW.

 Among the strange - some beacon sending "4XS" seemed to be following me
 around, QRMing my CQ frequency.  Was also called by "RG8U" and "RG8X"
 (No, I did not log them...)  An interesting contest, even if somewhat
 slow at times.

 Thanks for the QSOs.

 -Kirk  K4RO              Tennessee Contest Group           please note
                          http://www.k4ro.net/tcg.html  <-- new adress