[3830] N5ZS ARRL160 M/S

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N5ZS ARRL160 M/S
From: ab5se@ipa.net (Jerry Richards)
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 18:21:08 -0800
1998 ARRL 160 METER CONTEST

     Call used: N5ZS  (op?s AB5SE & K5OY)          Location: AR

     Category: Multi-Single Xmtr      Mode:  CW      Power: 800W

     If multi-operator, show calls of all operators: AB5SE and K5OY

     Exchanged Information: N5ZS RST AR

     Hours of Operation: 26 1/2

     band      QSOs     points
     -------------------------
     160       1075       2177
     -------------------------
     TOTAL     1075       2177   X   85 multipliers  =  185,045

 Going into this one we had no idea what to expect.  Operating from N5ZS,
 we were using an unfamiliar radio (new Kenwood 870) and had no receiving
 antennas.  The antenna we were using was a Conical Monapole (we
 affectionately call it a ?Bird Cage?) therefore we thought we would be
reasonably
 loud but were concerned with hearing. I suppose this would be an
appropriate time
 to offer our apology to any station that we were unable to hear.

 The first evening yielded 500 Q's within 8 hours, under very noisy
conditions, but
 rates stayed pretty low the remaining 18 1/2 hours of operating.  The most
 incredible thing for Steve (K5OY) and myself was the ability to hold a
frequency.
 Being predominately ?Low Power? op?s we are not accustom to this advantage.
 Friday evening we stayed on 46.7 (approx.) for over 10 hours and Saturday
 we held a frequency for over eight hours. The only aggressive attempt to
take our
 frequency was on Sat. night when a AA3 kept telling us to ?pse qsy?.
Since, by
 that time, we had been there over 5 hours we didn't feel compelled to
leave!
 We were able to keep making Q's, through the QRM, and the AA3 finally
 absconded. Overall, we were very impressed with the behavior of the
 operators.  This makes me very proud to call myself a contester.

 Thanks to all for the Q?s.

 73, Jerry, AB5SE

 P.S. In the event that any of you noticed unskilled operating habits that
was Steve,
 K5OY, operating.  During the times the operating was skilled and
professional, of
 course, that was me, AB5SE.  Hi Hi