[3830] N7IP (KK7GW op) SSB Sprint

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] N7IP (KK7GW op) SSB Sprint
From: kk7gw@yahoo.com (David Jones)
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:00:07 -0800 (PST)
                            SPRINT SUMMARY SHEET

     Contest Date : 07-Feb-99

    Callsign Used : N7IP
         Operator : KK7GW
         Station  : KK7GW

         Category : Single Operator/Low power

 Default Exchange : N7IP # DAVE WA

             Name : David Jones
          Address : 11427 110th AVE NE
   City/State/Zip : Kirkland, WA 98033
          Country : United States

   80SSB       5           5          5       2    <40m dipole and
tuner>
   40SSB      33          33         33       3    <40m dipole @ 13'>
   20SSB      57          57         57      23    <20m dipole @ 25'>

 Totals       95          95         95      28

    Final Score = 2660 points.
    Hours on: 3:58
    Power out: 100 watts

    Equipment: TS-530, the trusty Vecronics antenna tuner, TR
(RAT)-Log 6.33

    Comments:  It's been a long time since I've worked so hard for
just 95 Q's!
Decided to try 2 different things in this one, first I used the club
call N7IP instead of my own...the KK7 part always seems to get mangled
on SSB.  I've always had a ton of repeats for 'David' too, so decided
to try shorting to Dave.  How these worked...well, got a lot of
N7I?'s, and got about the same number of repeats for Dave.  On CW I
like my call though, so you will see a KK7GW in the CW sprint, but no
idea what I'm gonna use for a name.

My signal is awful on SSB...I couldn't do diddly on 20 until the
masses moved to 40, then when the QRM vanished I could actually keep
up a decent rate.
Decided that since my 40/80 antennas are so bad, especially on SSB,
that I would stay on 20 as long as I could.

Finally moved to 40 at 0156z.  Seemed like all I could work was W6!
Out of the 95 q's, 31 were in CA!  Next highest was OH with 7.  I
struggled through 27 q's in the 0200z hour on 40, and then popped down
to 80 at 0312z.

80m...let's see, I need an antenna!  I can hear great on 80, just that
nobody can hear me!  The lucky 5 stations that pulled me out on 80 were:
K7RAT (TNX Tree!  I needed ORE!)
AD6DO (3 bands!)
WL7KY (3 bands!)
KO7X (who actually heard me well enough to call me)
VE5MX (3 bands!)

Sorta scary that the only 3 guys that I got 3 banders with are all
regulars on the IRC channel #cqdx (shameless plug...
http://www.qsl.net/n6rt/cqdx.html)

Still have never broken the 100 q mark in a Sprint...I better do it in
the CW sprint next Saturday.

Thanks for the contacts, see you all in the CW sprint!

73
==
David Jones, KK7GW
kk7gw@yahoo.com