[3830] CQ WPX CW KN7Y SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQ WPX CW KN7Y SOAB LP
From: kn7y@qsl.net (kn7y@qsl.net)
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 01:40:07 -0400 (EDT)
                     CQ WW WPX - CW

Call: KN7Y
Operator(s): KN7Y
Station: KN7Y

Class: SOAB  Power: LP
QTH: Home!
Operating Time (hrs): 35

  160:      0
   80:      2
   40:    193
   20:    464
   15:    504
   10:     45
-------------------------------
Total:   1208 x    519  =  1,609,938

Club: Central Arizona DX Association

Comments:

As I wrote to my CADXA friends...

Hello, Amateur Radio Chiefs and Chiefettes.

The bands are quiet tonight after a weekend of RF-filled atmosphere.  Several
hours after The End (time just runs out), there is a faint signal from a VE6
calling CQ on 14 MHz, and the smoke and dust is clearing outside.  The
results are surprising, simply because of the similarity with the previous
year's results.  I wonder if Mike, Ned, and Gary's experiences were the same.

I want to apologize for beating Gary out of one QSO, as I didn't realize it
was him until I heard his call after my competitive experience got the best
of me.

We missed some great prefix calls, like CY9RF, but I did work SU9ZZ in this
year's contest for the very first time.

Last year published score, SOLP unassisted: 1,677,512, #10 in top 10
QSO's: 1248 Points: 3001        Mults: 559

This year claimed score, SOLP unassisted: 1,609,938, Hmmm...
QSO's: 1208 Points: 3102        Mults: 519

40 and 80 Meters

My goals this year included working more Big-Point contacts on 40-Meters, and
to stay away from 80-Meters.  I held off working JA's on any band until 3:00
AM AZ Saturday when I pointed the beam at 309 degrees to provide a little
40-Meter excitement with the "KN7" prefix.  So, even though I have fewer Q's
and mult's on 40, the actual points are greater.  This year, 40-Meters
rendered 769 points compared to last year's 598.  I admit that I did visit 80
meters twice, once each early morning, looking for Paul W8AEF, to provide him
with a possible multiplier.  Missing Paul, however, I did end up working two
quick-n-easy QSO's on 80, and one was a multiplier.

10-Meters

Wow.  The conditions rendered similar results with last year on 10, and
although the multi's were down a bit this year, more LU, VE, and Caribbean
operators could have broken this band wide open.  Some of the signals were
excellent with North and South propagation, and I had a chance to click
between my rotable beam and my 4-element beam fixed at 120 degrees.  It
works!  Now, if only the WPX CW contest was in the winter, man-o-man.  When
10 is open, it can give us that air-conditioned DXpedition feeling right in
our own homes.

20 and 15 Meters

Just like last year, these two bands were the driving force.  If 10-Meters
was the T-box and 40-Meters was the putting green, then 20 and 15 were the
fairways, wide open green pasture with some sand traps.  Now, I am lousy at
golf, but CW is a different story.  Again, I worked hard to get those larger
point contacts, when I was happy with a lot of 1 pointers last year.  The
1-pointers are necessary, but to get those 3-pointers with S-0 signals, it is
a little more effort to explain KN KN KN, or 7Y 7Y 7Y (not KL7Y or KI7Y, and
not KN6Y -- where did these guys come from anyway? Actually they are thinking
this about me: "...who is THIS guy?" hi hi).

After two sunrises and the quickly-setting 40-Meter propagation, I had to
count on 20 and 15 to supply QSO's.  Calling CQ did not generate any sort of
run except again Sunday morning at 3 AM AZ, working JA's this time on 20.
So, most of my Q's on 20 and 15 were hunt and pounce, and sometimes
accidentally pouncing more than once for two dupes without checking Write Log
first.  Lessons learned.  Out of the 519 WPX's worked during the contest, 406
are from 20 and 15.  I can't remember the number of times I walked up and
down these bands, or how often I started in the middle and split half and
half going back and forth with the A/B VFO for entertainment.

All in all, it was a great experience.  My overall goal was 2.5 million, and
although my score was even less that the previous year's, it was a heck of a
lot of fun.

Jack.