[3830] IARU HF 7J1AAI SO CW

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] IARU HF 7J1AAI SO CW
From: japancorporateresearch@compuserve.com (japancorporateresearch@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 05:30:33 -0400 (EDT)
                     IARU HF Championship

Call: 7J1AAI
Operator(s): W1NN
Station:

Class: SO CW  Power: HP
QTH: Tokyo
Operating Time (hrs): 21:49

  160:       0                 0
   80:       9                 7
   40:     141                31
   20:     426                52
   15:     545                56
   10:      44                23
-----------------------------------
Total:    1165        0      169  =  840,775

Club:

Comments:

Thanks to Shige, JH1GTV again for the use of his fine station.

The IARU starts at 9 PM local in Japan, almost guarantying that you feel tired
the whole test.  I was fine until about 8 AM when it really hit me.  I was so
tired that I fell asleep during nearly every qso.  I wonder what that did to my
logging accuracy.  An hour nap at mid-day (when there was nothing to work
anyhow) made a world of difference.  The smart JA ops no doubt took naps nap
before the contest.

The difference between daytime condx and nighttime condx was like the
difference between day and night.  15 and 20 were great during the dark hours
but during the day there was very little to work.  Anybody who got on the air
Sunday morning missed the contest.  After the first 11 hours (8 AM local), I
had 789 Q's in the log; the remaining 13 hours yielded only 376.  A real teeth
pull reminiscent of SS.

Five bands were open at the beginning of the contest so it was difficult to
know where to be.  10 was halfway open to Eu during the first few hours but
rates were not very good and most ops probably succumbed to the temptation of
better rates on 15.  But it turned out to be almost the only opportunity of the
contest to pick up the Eu mults, so it was a good decision to spend some time
there.  Shouldda spent more.

Before the contest I was fearful that we JAs would have a lot of trouble
working the WRTC stations because of the Eu and NA QRM but it was easier than I
had expected.  I found quite a few of them CQing with no answers and got right
through.  Lots of people have trouble with my call (ZJ1 is a common iteration)
but with only one exception all of the 17 stations I worked got my call correct
right away.  Listening to ops like that is truly music to the ears.

This was the first contest I've operated from Japan when I had no sustained W
runs.  I did not work a single US station on 10 and very few on 15.  20 yielded
a so-so run toward the end but it was not at all deep.  I guess antennas were
pointed elsewhere this time.

The main amateur radio societies (with one significant exception) did a great
job of getting the HQ stations on the air.  That really makes this contest.
But if you're used to sitting and running you have to change your strategy
'cause they won't come to you.

Congratulations to the folks in Slovenia for doing such a great job.  It will
be a tough act to follow.

73,

Hal Offutt W1NN/7J1AAI