[3830] NAQP CW AA4LR SO

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW AA4LR SO
From: aa4lr@radio.org (aa4lr@radio.org)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 17:41:26 -0400 (EDT)

Comments:

Equipment:
Kenwood TS-430S running 90 watts
20+ year old CMOS keyer

Antennas:
R7000 at 8 feet
80m doublet at 25 feet

Comments:

While I still don't have my tower up yet, I managed to improve my personal best
scores. Caught K9AY in the first 10 minutes, and he moved me through all 6
bands. That's a first for me. Of course, Gary is only about 2 miles from me, so
its almost cheating. Later I remembered that I forgot to change antennas during
the move. I bet Cushcraft doesn't realise the R7000 works on 6 bands....

The "Golden Ears" award belongs to AA4S. Ron pulled my 160m signal out of the
mud for my only other 160m QSO. Considering I used the R7000 on 160m (with no
tuner), I was impressed that anyone could hear me.

Mostly S & P, but I did manage to do a lot of CQing. My apologies for my
grotty, error-laden sending -- I'm out of practice with the paddles. My keyer
also appeared to randomly speed up a slow down by a couple of wpm, I'm not sure
why.

10m was disappointing, and things were slow early on, so I took a break at
2030Z. With the obligatory dinner break at 2330Z and not being able to keep my
eyes open past 0400Z, I only managed 7.7 total hours.

Looking forward to the January NAQP with a tower and decent antennas.