[3830] ARRL10 VE3KZ SO Mixed QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 VE3KZ SO Mixed QRP
From: ve3kz@attcanada.ca (ve3kz@attcanada.ca)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:51:06 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VE3KZ
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SO Mixed QRP
QTH: Ontario
Operating Time (hrs): 22

   CW:    426    107
  SSB:    366     93
----------------------
Total:    792    200  =  486,400

Club:

Comments:

First I want to thank those that unburied my signal from the noise,
particularly on back-scatter. Special kudos to W3PP (QRP) in Delaware, a new
mult,  who was one of only 7 stations that answered my infrequent CQ's! The 22
hours of operation were exactly split between CW and SSB, but 54% of the
contacts and multipliers were on CW, 46% on SSB. DX multipliers were about
equal, 54 CW, 56 SSB. The biggest difference was the ability to work the
domestic multipliers on CW vs SSB, only 37 on SSB vs 53 on CW. Most of this
difference was in the close-in back-scatter zone which, from here, was from VE1
to Wisconsin and south to Georgia, 28 of the 64 domestic multipliers. Only 8 of
these were worked on SSB, versus 22 on CW back-scatter. When it comes to really
weak signals, it's easy to see which is the preferred mode. Not a new
conclusion!

Rig: IC-706MKIIG operating at power level 1, 5W
Antennas: 5el yagi rotary at 55', 3el yagi left on South America at 100'

The IC-706 was a bit of a handfull on SSB. I don't have the optional filter on
SSB and I had to ride the RF gain to death. The pre-amp was totally off-limits
unless you wanted to hear the whole band at once! The TS-950SDX is sure a lot
more pleasant to operate but you need to pad the output, (and RX input) on CW
to crank it down to 5W which is a real pain, but perhaps worth it.

Happy QRPing but looking forward to hooking the AL-1200 on again soon!

73 Bob VE3KZ
ve3kz@rac.ca