[3830] ARRL10 WQ5W SO CW LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL10 WQ5W SO CW LP
From: WQ5W@arrl.net (WQ5W@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:18:37 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: WQ5W
Operator(s): WQ5W
Station: WQ5W

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:   1342    134
  SSB:
----------------------
Total:   1342    134  =  720,920

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Rig:  TS-850S (100W)
Ant:  TH-7 @ 55'

Didn't have time this week to prepare for this one.  Just sat down after I got
home from work Friday (missed first 20 minutes) and went.  I think my country
multiplier (75) probably suffered as a result.  Also, my mast is binding in my
tower and the antenna will only turn from west-north-east, so I struggled with
Caribbean/Central America and SA mults.  I was going to put up a dipole this
week to cover those directions, but work and family commitments precluded that.

Band stayed open for South America and backscatter until about 0500Z Friday,
but shut down abrubtly at 0230Z Saturday night.  Also, the European opening
shut down Saturday and Sunday very suddenly and a little early based on
previous experience.  Must have been the high K and A indexes.

Biggest thrill was being called by E20RRW Saturday night for an all-time new
band country.  It was also neat to see the rate meter go over 100 several times
Saturday.

Missed WY for W.A.S. in the contest (never heard one), but did work several OK
and LA stations to complete my 10M W.A.S. overall.

73,
Alan, WQ5W