[3830] ARRL SS SSB K1OU SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS SSB K1OU SO HP
From: k1ou@arrl.net (k1ou@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 00:11:07 -0500 (EST)
                     ARRL Sweepstakes, SSB

Call: K1OU
Operator(s): K1OU
Station: K1OU

Class: SO HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 23:48

  160:
   80:    571
   40:    278
   20:    438
   15:     64
   10:    106
-------------------------------
Total:   1457 x     80  =  233,120

Club: none

Comments:

I only get really lathered about one contest, and it is this one.  I don't know
why, but maybe it was because it was my first contest, in 1976.  71 contacts in
22 hours with a trap dipole at 15 feet.

Anyway, I achieved several goals this year.  More contacts on 80, 20, and 10.
I stunk on 40 and 15.  Hmmmmmm.

I started with a steady if unspectacular rate for the first three hours, and in
my haste to get a spot on 75, showed up waaaayyy early and let the bottom fall
out of a great start. The solace is that when 75 woke up, I held 3804 for four
and a half hours, rocked beyond belief on 20, and tripled my 10 meter score
from last year.  But then again, it is relatively easy to improve on next to
nothing.

One thing that always cracks me up about Sweeps is the pig farmers who try to
shoehorn frequencies by acting like they don't hear you and start in with their
Medicare ponderings. Not to mention the southern-accented catcalls from people
who don't have a call. Probably the same bunch that doesn't realize that when
you drop a carrier on somebody, the way to deal with it is to zero-beat the
carrier.  It also was really neat to hear a lot of calls from old-timers and to
hear some great QRP sigs from the left coast.

In summation, what helped me improve this year was better station ergonomics, a
new computer, a higher 75 antenna, and a second tribander at 35 feet.  Also
thanks to Jim, WX3B for all the support when things were flagging.

Equipment: FT1000MP, Alpha 374, Force 12 C-3's at 71' and 35' feet(not yet
phased), 80M inverted vee at 65', 40 meter delta loop at 60'........