[3830] NAQP CW AA4LR SOAB LP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW AA4LR SOAB LP
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (aa4lr@arrl.net)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:45:12 -0500 (EST)

AE6Y CQPWIN Software

Antennas:
A3S @ 49 feet (10m, 15m, 20m)
1/4 wave sloper @ 40 feet (40m)
125 foot doublet @ 35 feet (80m, 160m)

Comments:

Wow.

That's my summary. Wow.

Conditions were really great. 10 stayed open for hours, and both 80m and 160m
were really quiet.

I started off with a goal of 400 Qs, perhaps 150 multiplers, and an overal
score goal of 60k. I'd have been satisfied to break 50k, since my previous best
score in the NAQP CW was 34k ppints.

Having real antennas really helps. I spent lots of time on the upper bands,
since I had a gain antenna there, and felt loud. This is the first CW contest
I've done from home where I felt I could actually run stations. I had excellent
runs on 15m and 20m, sometimes getting the rate meter over 100/hr.

Since I put almost 7 hours on the higher bands, that left little time on the
lower bands. My best overall band rate came on 160m, where a bit over a half an
hour netted 35 contacts, with 80m a close second.

In looking at my results, I've decided the 40m sloper just doesn't cut the
mustard. I got through on the first call on every other band, but struggled on
40m. In retrospect, I probably should have spent more time on 80m, where I had
a brief run before I went to 160m before the clock ran out.

Worked a number of SECCers. K9AY moved me through 6 bands. Worked the W4AN M/2
on 5 bands (just missed them on 10m). Also worked AE4Y, WA4TT, W4NTI, K4NO,
W4OC, and there's probably a couple more I missed. May have worked more if I
had spent more time on the low bands.

I QSYed for every station who asked, THAT I UNDERSTOOD. Ok, my CW isn't the
greatest, but it's getting better. I did get peeved at guys who would send
something after our QSO, but then gave up when I asked for a repeat. Come on,
it's worth the move if you'd just send it again. Be patient.

But my biggest peeve were guys who gave up when I asked them for a second
repeat of the exchange. There were a couple who just went back to calling CQ.
I'd have to call them again, and then we'd go  through the whole business
again. Waste of time. Just giving the repeat would have been faster.

Thanks for tolerating my someone oddly sent CW. Seems the AE6Y software is
sensitive to disk page faults, and at times my wife's memory-constrained laptop
would page like crazy, which messed up the CW timing. It was really nice to
have the computer send just about everything for me, although I did revert to
the paddles a few times. (I found the AE6Y keyboard mode to be buggy -- if you
switched out before it stopped sending, it would crash the software. Ouch)

This was a great contest, I can't wait for the Phone portion.