[3830] ARRLDX SSB N4KG SOAB QRP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N4KG SOAB QRP
From: N4KG@JUNO.com (N4KG@JUNO.com)
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 06:39:32 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: North Am
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:    1     1
   80:   19    17
   40:   52    35
   20:  184    69
   15:  230    75
   10:  436    86
-------------------
Total:  922   283  Total Score = 782,778

Club:

Comments:

My original plan was for a 10M QRP entry since I went into the contest with the
mother of all colds including fever, chills, constant runny nose, and ever
present cough. My ribs were sore from coughing by the end of the contest.  First
night, 1.5 hrs on 10M, 0.5 hr on 15, 0.5 hr on 20 and 8 hours in bed.

I couldn't resist picking up 'a few multipliers' on the lower bands before going
to 10M.  Sometimes conditions can be 'TOO GOOD' or at least the MUF can be too
high, increasing absorption on the lower frequencies.  15M was open to EU until
midnight (and never closed in (FLA), and 20M was open all night even to G which
rarely enjoys such openings.  40M was unproductive before midnight for this
QRPer.

 All contacts were S&P. Best hour was 87 Saturday morning.  No responses to my
(few) CQ's, even on 10M.  Nice to catch  EX, EY, JT, UN, XW, YI,  5B, 9K on the
high bands. Only Pacific stations worked were KH7R on 5B,  and VK's on 4B plus
DU on 10M.  Only Africas were CT9M, EA8BH, EA8ZS on 4 / 5 B plus VQ9MR on 20 /
15 and an EA9 on 40M.  This was the year for the old 'High Band Only' category
:-)!

Most of Eastern EU worked on 3 bands, most of Western EU worked on 4B.  Activity
levels seemed a little low with big pileups on 'frest meat' on Sunday.  It was
still FUN to witness these rare all night openings and play on all bands.  It
was an excellent example of the 'Wonder of Radio'.

An irregular heart beat (PVC's) Sunday night reminded me that if you are over
40, over weight, or over zealous, it is a good idea to have a stress test BEFORE
engaging in competitive contesting.  Adreneline and sleep deprivation put a
heavy load on the heart.  I recall reading two obituaries from heart attacks
following major DX contests.  Next time I expect to have new valves (the ones
without filaments).

Tom  N4KG / QRP  in  North Alabama