[3830] ARRL 160 WC4H Single Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 WC4H Single Op HP
From: wc4g@itis.net (wc4g@itis.net)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:34:06 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: WC4H
Operator(s): WC4H
Station: WC4H

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Miami, FL
Operating Time (hrs): 10.2

Total:  QSOs = 340  Sections = 56  Countries = 6  Total Score = 43,462

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

I replaced my inverted L with a new one.  1/4 wave #12 wire.  I went to Home
Depot and bought a 2 x 8 ft. piece of lathing (under $5)used for plaster walls
(lots of galvanized metal... ouch it cuts).  Boy what a difference that little
item made! It's like running mobile with the car as a ground plane. Many more
contacts than in the CQ 160.  I was also hearing many more stations which was
very gratifying since I don't have a receiving antenna.

The highest point of the L is about 39 feet so most of it is horizontal, so it's
working about as well as it can under the circumstances.  I think the antenna is
getting out quite well with 800 W (any more and my alarm screams), so I'm
looking to add a receiving antenna for the next time.

I know there were many stations that called me (heard the whispers) that I could
have heard with a receiving antenna.  Perhaps another 50 to 100 Q's.

Next 160 contest I expect to break the 500 Q's barrier.  I did manage to work
pretty much everything I heard execpt the KH6.  But hearing him was an
accomplishment in itself.  Very poor conditions with Europe from my QTH, so my
DX was restricted to the islands close by (VP2, P40, ZF2, HI, CO and FM).

Overall I was very pleased with the improvements I noticed with my inverted L.

73
Carl