[3830] XE RTTY VE7ASK LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] XE RTTY VE7ASK LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 16:22:05 -0800
                    Mexico RTTY International Contest

Call: VE7ASK
Operator(s): VE7ASK
Station: VE7ASK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 18

   80:    5   14     2
   40:   16   48     4
   20:   43  128     6
   15:   59  179    12
   10:    7   21     3
------------------------
Total:  130  390    27  Total Score = 10,530

Club:

Comments:

Got off to a solid start Saturday morning, but by late night Saturday, things
had gone downhill.

Propagation fell off dramatically for Sunday morning and the bands stayed mostly
dead all day. I even went to 40M at 2300Z, which is usually a waste of time for
a VE7. In this case, it gave me a couple of extra QSOs when even 20M wouldn't
produce a call. QSB was very strong during a few stretches Saturday night, and
even on Sunday morning northern states and Canada had weak, fluttery signals.
Just barely managed a QSO with Bob VE6YR on 40M with rotten conditions, then
worked him no trouble on 80M not long afterward.

Had a super call from VY1JA on 20M -- he was booming in here. I usually have
trouble finding J in contests.

10M was almost totally out all weekend, with just 7 QSOs and three mults (USA,
Canada, and New Zealand). Thanks to ZL2BR for being there on a very, very lonely
band Sunday afternoon. Worked VK4UC for the Aussie mult. Had a decent run into
Japan on 15M around 2300Z Saturday (4 p.m. local), working a couple of dozen
JAs.

Hope next year conditions are less noisy -- alas, I know the sunspot activity
will be much lower. I am not looking forward to the next few years, but plan to
do a few things (including putting up a decent beam) to help make up a bit for
the coming propagation drought.

Worked 10 XE stations (best was 6 on 15M), but DX wasn't much to write home
about -- all relatively close-in: USA, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand,
Asian Russia, Argentina, French Polynesia... And, of course, Mexico.

Thanks to all the stations and the FMRE organizers. Even lousy radio weather
did't take away from the fun in this one.

73,

Bud, VE7ASK