[3830] CQWW SSB V73AZ (K9QQ) SOAB HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB V73AZ (K9QQ) SOAB HP
From: "Brian Maves" <k9qq@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:51:30 -1000
CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 2003

      Call:      V73AZ
      Operator:  K9QQ/KH6
      Category:  Single Operator
      Power:     High Power
      Band:      All Band
      Mode:      SSB
      Country:   Marshall Is.
      Zone:      31

      160        1        1     1.00      1       1
       80       76      197     2.59     13      21
       40      342      953     2.79     26      38
       20      896     2577     2.88     36     101
       15     2029     5947     2.93     34      86
       10     2050     6034     2.94     28      65

     Totals   5394    15709     2.91    138     312  =>  7,069,050

Equipment Description:

FT-1000 and AL-1500
IC-765 and IC-2KL
10-20:  TH7DXX @ 70'
40:  G5RV @ 30'
80:  Inv V @ 65'
160:  Inverted L

Club Affiliation: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

A big thanks to the Kwajalein ARC for making their station available for the
weekend, Bert, V73GOD, for being a great host, and Dave, V73UX, for help
with antenna work.  Also, have to thank Kimo, KH7U, for loaner equipment and
cables, and Mike, KH6ND, for his advice and encouragement.

This was my first ever serious SOABHP effort and I was thrilled with the
results.  I was a little unsure how it would go once the CME occurred, but
ended up with incredible conditions through about 40 hours.  Things really
slowed after that and I spent the next few hours trying to coax an opening
out of 20, and then 15 and 10.  10 finally opened with a couple hours to go
and I had good rates there through the end of the contest.

Thanks to all the guys who worked me on 40 mtrs.  I've had two or three
people in the states tell me I was loud, but the G5RV was noisy and I just
wasn't hearing well on that band.

It was certainly my best contesting experience to date.

Thanks, Brian
K9QQ/KH6 (V73AZ)

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Brian Maves  K9QQ/KH6